GET INSPIRED TALKS (“GI Talks”)
GI Talks performs two functions: we train change-makers to become speakers with impact, influence and reach and we produce live events at which our trainees deliver short talks that spotlight creative solutions to humanity’s pressing problems and rally live audiences to take action. The impact and influence of each talk is scaled by formatting it into a video and an e-book chapter to reach, inspire and activate online audiences. The next GI Talks event takes place on Saturday, November 7, 2020 in the Granville Island Stage in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
GI Talks delivers help and hope to 3 parties:
1. victims suffering from one of humanity’s pressing problems
2. change-makers who need a platform to tell the world about their creative solutions
3. action-takers who want options to make a difference in their own way.
GI Talks supports change-makers to deliver inspiring short talks that spotlight humanity’s pressing problems, offer creative solutions and rally live audiences to take up their calls to action. The impact and influence of each talk is scaled by formatting it into a video and an e-book chapter to reach, inspire and activate much larger online audiences.
GI Talks elevates people to see beyond their self-interest and realize that they can make a difference in theor own way. We do this by producing events at which change-makers deliver short talks that spotlight creative solutions to humanity’s pressing problems and rally live audiences to take up their call to action. The impact and influence of each talk is scaled by formatting it into a video and an e-book chapter to reach, inspire and activate online audiences. In 2030 we’ll produce 2 GI Talks events in 400 major cities. Each event will feature 15 change-makers whose 12,000 solutions will be seen, heard or read 100,000 times to inspire over 1 billion actions that move the needle toward a better world.
GI Talks has 5 core values:
- Action – Making action happen is the overriding purpose of every GI Talks talk.
- Hope – We want every event to be a beacon of hope that elevates attendees to see beyond their self-interest, realize that they can make a difference to humanity and are inspired to take specific actions to do so. We want every talk to give hope to those who suffer from one of humanity’s pressing problems.
- Sustainable altruism – We are a social enterprise that is both altruistic and intent on making enough money to internally finance our growth to 400 cities by 2030.
- Win:win – We seek win:win outcomes from every relationship.
- Excellence – We do everything with excellence.
The theme for every GI Talks event is as simple as it is daunting: Making action happen. This theme is born from GI Talk’s belief that all human achievement is rooted in 3 elements: the dreams that we dream, the decisions that we make, and the actions that we take. The most impactful of these is the actions that we take. This Making Action Happen theme guides GI Talk’s selection of talks to those that give legs to dreams of what could be.
GI Talks wants its audiences to take up the calls to action of its speakers. These calls to action give legs to dreams of what could be and move the needle toward a better world.
GI Talks has 2 audiences:
- Attendees at live events.
- Online via:
- video on YouTube and social media
- e-book on Amazon.
GI Talks anticipates that its online audiences will dwarf its live audiences.
GI Talks audience members are:
- Caring and concerned optimists.
- Role models seeking direction.
- Early-adopters, influencers and collaborators.
- Everyday humanitarians wanting options to make a difference in their own way.
- Change agents, action takers and difference makers.
In demographic terms, our audience members are 25 to 65 year old working professionals with above-average household incomes and formal education.
GI Talks faces competition from Toastmasters International, Dale Carnegie, TED, TEDx and a plethora of single city events.
GI Talks has 9 edges:
- Our ideas– We choose high-impact solutions and train speakers i.e., the strength of the solution trumps the initial strength of the speaker.
- Our speakers– Speakers who inform change skillsets but speakers who inspire change mindsets; it’s the difference between a gentle breeze and a hurricane! GI Talks speakers both inform AND inspire.
- Our focus on action– Each talk is accompanied by clear and specific calls to action.
- Our value– Live audiences enjoy an engaging and inspiring program at an affordable ticket price.
- Our stakeholders’ experience– We strive to give our attendees, speakers, partners, suppliers, and team members a red-carpet experience at every touchpoint. There is little traffic beyond the extra mile.
- Our distribution– We distribute each speaker’s talk through 3 channels: from the stage, video and e-book.
- Our professionalism– Our team is made up of paid professionals who deliver excellence in all that they do; we do not rely on volunteers.
- Our brand– We are building a global brand that evokes images in heads and feelings in hearts around one idea: Making Action Happen
- Our ambition – We are building and inspiring a global community of caring and concerned optimists. By 2030 we will produce at least 2 events in each of 400 major cities to inspire 1 billion actions that help humanity.
VGIT has 3 goals for its November 7, 2020 event:
- To have each speaker receive an authentic standing ovation.
- To give attendees red carpet treatment at every touchpoint and thereby earn the right to have attendees award each show a Net Promoter Score of at least 45.
- To have full houses at both shows.
In exchange for a ticket price of between $39 and $47, a VGIT attendee gets:
- 7+ inspiring talks on diverse topics.
- Red carpet treatment at every touchpoint.
- A prestige venue with great sightlines and superb acoustics.
- Clear, specific and practical calls to action with every talk.
- A mid-program break to re-energize them.
- Interactivity between speakers.
- A non-commercial environment i.e., no-one will pitch anything.
This champagne experience on a beer budget is accentuated when live attendees are part of a group – every member of that group can enjoy the magic and memories of VGIT with their group leader and each other.
VGIT events are interactive. This interactivity takes 3 forms:
- After each talk, a microphone will be passed to audience members to solicit their action steps.
- Each speaker’s email will be made available.
- When their videos and e-books are released, every speaker is committed to engage with those who reach out to them.
VGIT features a diverse program with 4 elements:
- Opening and closing ceremonies.
- Talks that address a variety of personal, local, national and global issues.
- An interactivity period after each speaker.
- At least one networking break.
There is no after-party as many VGIT team members are involved in taking down the stage and other infrastructure. Nevertheless, VGIT encourages attendees to attend their own after-parties to talk about what they have just seen and heard. There are many restaurants close to the Granville Island Stage theatre.
Sign onto our community newsletter on the foot of the homepage.
Sign onto our community newsletter on the foot of the homepage.
Contact the producer, Roger Killen at either firstname.lastname@example.org or 604.408.0888.
VGIT selects speakers who are graduates of GI Talks’ training programs.
The VGIT speakers’ videos will be available a few weeks after the event. Also, each of our speakers’ scripts will be published on Amazon as a chapter in an e-book. We’ll let you know when the videos and e-books become available.
The VGIT speakers can be contacted in several ways:
- They will be available during the event.
- Their email addresses will appear in the paper program guide you’ll receive at the event, in their video descriptions and e-book.
GI TALKS' POLICIES
Yes. No food or beverages, phone calls, flash photography, audio or video recording are allowed inside the auditorium.
Yes, but not while a talk is in progress.
Yes. Babies and toddlers will not be permitted as they have a habit of crying at the most inopportune moments. Children 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult. Be aware that some of the evening show talks contain mature content.
Yes. Due to the nature of a live performance, all speakers and program portions are subject to change.
Attendees understand that GI Talks events offer a safe, welcoming and inclusive environment in which harassment of any kind will not be tolerated. Violators of this policy will be expelled, will not receive a refund or any other form of compensation and will be banned from participating in future GI Talks events.
Attendees understand that they attend the GI Talks event in a spirit of curiosity, open-mindedness, respect and tolerance and that the event is appropriate for high-level relationship building, not salesmanship. Accordingly, attendees agree not to use their attendance to aggressively pitch their company, organization, products or services to other attendees. Violators of this policy will be expelled, will not receive a refund or any other form of compensation and will be banned from participating in future GI Talks events.
GI Talks does not warrant that attendees will be satisfied with the GI Talks event or that it will be free of technical difficulties.
Attendees grant to GI Talks a fully-paid, perpetual right to all photographs, video and audio recordings of themselves taken or made at the GI Talks event and the right to record, use, reproduce, broadcast and distribute any photographs, video or audio recordings for any purpose.
By providing any personal data to GI Talks, attendees agree to join a list that will be emailed information pertaining to the spring 2021 event and subsequent similar events. Attendees may unsubscribe from this list with a single mouse click, at no cost and at any time.
Attendees acknowledge that GI Talks has the unfettered right to refuse admission and to expel any person(s) whose conduct is disorderly or inappropriate or who poses a threat to security, or to the enjoyment of the event by others. Any attendee who is refused admission or is expelled will not receive a refund or any other form of compensation.
Attendees voluntarily assume all rick and danger of personal injury and hazards arising from, or related in any way to GI Talks (including loss, damage or theft of personal property) whether occurring prior to, during or after the GI Talks event and releases GI Talks and its staff, agents and volunteers from all liability.
A VGIT ticket to the afternoon show or the evening show costs $39 + GST each per show if purchased on or before August 31, 2020 and $47 + GST each per show if purchased on or after September 1, 2020.
You buy VGIT tickets and pay online with a Visa or MasterCard.
You can buy VGIT tickets on this website. If you require 8 or more contiguous seats contact Roger Killen at email@example.com or 604.408.0888 BEFORE you buy them to ensure that 8 contiguous seats are available.
Yes, so long as you buy at least 8 contiguous seats. Before you make your purchase, contact Roger Killen at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604.408.0888 to confirm that 8 contiguous seats are available.
VGIT tickets are not refundable unless GI Talks cancels an event or postpones an event and the date to which the event is postponed is not convenient. VGIT tickets are fully transferable.
Yes. After you have completed your purchase you’ll receive an email containing your VGIT tickets. You can print these tickets on your printer. Each ticket has a unique bar code which will be scanned at the entrance to the Granville Island Stage theatre.
The Granville Island Stage theatre is located at 1585 Johnston Street, Vancouver.
There are several convenient and sustainable transportation options for getting there including walking, biking, ferries or public transportation.
There are several nearby public parking lots that operate 24 hours per day, 7 days a week on a first come, first serve basis. See https://granvilleisland.com/parking-information-0
Yes, the Granville Island Stage theatre is wheelchair accessible. There are 4 wheelchair spaces and 4 companion spaces in the auditorium. If you are in a wheelchair, please contact Roger Killen – email@example.com or 604.408.0888 – BEFORE you purchase a ticket.
The Granville Island Stage theatre provides hearing-assist devices for hearing-impaired people.
FOOD AND BEVERAGE
Sorry but the Granville Island Stage theatre rule is that no outside food or beverage is permitted on site.
Snacks are served in the lobby of the Granville Island Stage theatre.
You can go to any of the numerous restaurants that are within walking distance of the Granville Island Stage theatre.
VGIT is committed to leaving as small an environmental footprint as possible and is taking the following measures to make that happen:
- VGIT does not give attendees a ‘swag bag’ filled with branded giveaways; we believe that these bags and most of their contents end up in landfills.
- VGIT’s paper program guide is printed on recycled paper.
- VGIT sources locally to reduce waste and transport-related emissions.
- VGIT chooses venues that are accessible by walking, bicycle and transit.
- VGIT’s operations are as energy efficient as possible.
- VGIT’s administration systems are as paperless as possible.
- VGIT recycles as much of our waste as possible.
- VGIT asks its suppliers to follow sustainable practices.
We customize each partnership relationship. Please contact Roger Killen at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604.408.0888 for more information.
All partners receive various forms of publicity, complimentary seats and other exploitable commercial potential. Each partnership is designed on a case by case basis. Both GI Talks and VGIT are open to all sorts of creative ways to building win:win partnerships. Contact Roger Killen at email@example.com or 604.408.0888.