GET INSPIRED TALKS INC. (“GI TALKS”)
GI Talks is a social enterprise i.e., a business that combines purpose with profit. Our purpose is to produce short talks that activate live and online audiences to tackle humanity’s pressing problems.
The mission of GI Talks is to help people help themselves and others by producing inspiring short talks that rally live audiences to tackle humanity’s pressing problems. The impact and influence of these talks is scaled by formatting them into videos and e-book chapters to reach, inspire and rally much larger online audiences.
GI Talks plans to produce at least 2 live events annually in each of 400 cities by 2030. At each event we’ll showcase 12 credible movement leaders with fresh solutions to humanity’s pressing problems. Their 9,600 ideas will each be heard 100,000 times to inspire nearly 1 billion actions that help humanity.
GI Talks has 4 core values:
- Action – we focus on activating our audiences because only action creates change.
- Sustainable altruism – GI Talks is altruistic AND determined to make enough money to internally finance our growth to 400 cities by 2030.
- Win:win – GI Talks seeks a win:win outcome from every relationship.
- Excellence – GI talks does everything with excellence.
GI Talks has 5 core beliefs:
- Action takers are difference makers.
- Inspired people make change happen.
- Inspiration is the gatekeeper to action.
- High-impact short talks are sparkplugs, triggers and rallying cries.
- More is more.
- Speaker training and impact are directly correlated.
The theme for every GI Talks event is as simple as it is daunting: Inspiring Brave Actions™. This theme is born from GI Talks belief that all human achievement is rooted in 3 elements: the dreams that we dream, the decisions that we make, and the actions that we take. The most impactful of these is the actions that we take. This Inspiring Brave Actions™ theme guides GI Talks selection of talks to those that give legs to dreams of what could be.
GI Talks wants its audiences to take up the calls to action of its speakers. These calls to action give legs to dreams of what could be and move the needle toward a better world.
GI Talks has 2 audiences:
- Attendees at live events.
- Online via:
- video on YouTube and social media
- e-book on Amazon.
GI Talks anticipates that its online audiences will dwarf its live audiences.
GI Talks audience members are:
- Caring and concerned optimists.
- Role models seeking direction.
- Early-adopters, influencers and collaborators.
- Everyday humanitarians.
- Change agents, action takers and difference makers.
In demographic terms, our audience members are 25 to 65 year old working professionals with above-average household incomes and formal education.
GI Talks faces competition from Toastmasters International, Dale Carnegie, TED, TEDx and a plethora of single city events.
GI Talks has 9 edges:
- Our ideas– We choose high-impact ideas and train speakers i.e., the strength of the idea trumps the initial strength of the speaker.
- Our speakers– Speakers who inform change skillsets but speakers who inspire change mindsets; it’s the difference between a gentle breeze and a hurricane! GI Talks speakers both inform AND inspire.
- Our focus on action– Each talk is accompanied by clear and specific calls to action.
- Our value– Live audiences enjoy an engaging and inspiring program at an affordable ticket price.
- Our stakeholders’ experience– We strive to give our attendees, speakers, partners, suppliers, and team members a red-carpet experience at every touchpoint. There is little traffic beyond the extra mile.
- Our distribution– We distribute each speaker’s talk through 3 channels: from the stage, video and e-book.
- Our professionalism– Our team is made up of paid professionals who deliver excellence in all that they do; we do not rely on volunteers.
- Our brand– We are building a global brand that evokes images in heads and feelings in hearts around one idea: Inspiring Brave Actions™.
- Our ambition – We are building and inspiring a global community of caring and concerned optimists. By 2030 we will produce at least 2 events in each of 400 major cities to inspire 1 billion brave actions.
GI Talks has 4 goals for its October 19, 2019 events:
- To have each speaker receive an authentic standing ovation.
- To have each speaker’s video receive at least 10,000 views in 3 months, 50,000 views in 12 months and 100,000 views in 3 years.
- To have full houses at both our afternoon and evening events.
- To have attendees award each event a Net Promoter Score of at least 50.
In exchange for a ticket price of $47, a GI Talks attendee gets:
- 6 inspiring talks on diverse topics.
- Red carpet treatment at every touchpoint.
- A prestige venue with great sightlines and superb acoustics.
- Clear, specific and practical calls to action with every talk.
- Access to a community of like-minded people.
- A mid-program break to re-energize them.
- Interactivity between speakers.
- A non-commercial environment i.e., no-one will pitch you anything.
This champagne experience on a beer budget is accentuated when live attendees are part of a group – every member of that group can enjoy the magic and memories of GI Talks with their group leader (aka Ranger) and each other.
GI Talks are interactive. This interactivity takes 3 forms:
- After each talk, a microphone will be passed to audience members with a question for the speaker, who remains on the stage.
- Each speaker’s email will be made available.
- When their videos and e-books are released, every speaker is committed to engage with those who reach out to them with comments and/or emails.
GI Talks events feature a diverse program with 4 elements:
- Opening and closing ceremonies.
- 6 talks address a variety of personal, local, national and global issues.
- An interactivity period after each speaker.
- A 20 minute networking break.
There is no after-party as many of GI Talks’ team members are involved in taking down the stage and other infrastructure. Nevertheless, GI Talks encourages attendees to attend their own after-parties to talk about what they have just seen and heard. There are literally dozens of restaurants nearby.
Sign onto our community newsletter on the foot of the homepage.
Sign onto our community newsletter on the foot of the homepage.
Contact the producer, Roger Killen at either email@example.com or 604.408.0888.
About 100 people typically apply for one of the 6 speaking slots. We review all applications, invite about 25 to audition and offer to introduce them to GI Talks Certified Speaker Coaches – Renee Jacobs, Tania Ehman and Dorothea Hendriks.
From the 25 applicants who audition, 6 are chosen as GI Talks speakers for each event. They are supplied with a schedule of the following 6 training events and book their calendars accordingly:
- Script development session– Each speaker attends a 60-minute session to read their script and receive feedback designed to elevate its clarity and impact. The speakers go to work with their coaches to improve their scripts.
- Video script– Each speaker receives help to write a 60 to 70 word description of their talk. This exercise forces speakers to be clear and focused.
- First rehearsal– Speakers are each given a 60 minute timeslot to deliver their talk. They receive feedback and their talk is recorded for self-evaluation.
- Second rehearsal– Speakers deliver their talks to a live, neutral audience and make refinements based on the feedback received.
- Third rehearsal– This is the dress rehearsal. Speakers wear what they are planning to wear on their “big day,” are equipped with headset mics and are each given a 30 minute timeslot. This rehearsal is recorded and a link is provided to each speaker for self-evaluation.
- Stage familiarization – On the “big day” before the audience arrives, speakers are given the opportunity to take the stage, stand on the carpet and feel comfortable with this intimidating environment.
The speakers’ videos will be available a few weeks after the event. Also, each of our speakers’ scripts will be published on Amazon as a chapter in an e-book. We’ll let you know when the videos and e-books become available.
The GI Talks speakers can be contacted in several ways:
- They will be available during the GI Talks event.
- Their email addresses will appear in the paper program guide you’ll receive at the event, in their video descriptions and e-book.
GI TALKS’ POLICIES
Yes. No food or beverages, phone calls, flash photography, audio or video recording are allowed inside the auditorium.
Yes, but not while a talk is in progress.
Yes. Babies and toddlers will not be permitted as they have a habit of crying at the most inopportune moments. Children 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult. Be aware that some of the talks contain mature content.
Yes. Due to the nature of a live performance, all speakers, energizers and program portions are subject to change.
Attendees understand that the GI Talks event is a safe, welcoming and inclusive environment in which harassment of any kind will not be tolerated. Violators of this policy will be expelled, will not receive a refund or any other form of compensation and will be banned from participating in future GI Talks events.
Attendees understand that they attend the GI Talks event in a spirit of curiosity, open-mindedness, respect and tolerance and that the event is appropriate for high-level relationship building, not salesmanship. Accordingly, attendees agree not to use their attendance to aggressively pitch their company, organization, products or services to other attendees. Violators of this policy will be expelled, will not receive a refund or any other form of compensation and will be banned from participating in future GI Talks events.
GI Talks does not warrant that attendees will be satisfied with the GI Talks event or that it will be free of technical difficulties.
Attendees grant to GI Talks a fully-paid, perpetual right to all photographs, video and audio recordings of themselves taken or made at the GI Talks event and the right to record, use, reproduce, broadcast and distribute any photographs, video or audio recordings for any purpose.
By providing any personal data to GI Talks, attendees agree to join a list that will be emailed information pertaining to the October 19, 2019 event and subsequent similar events. Attendees may unsubscribe from this list with a single mouse click, at no cost and at any time.
Attendees acknowledge that GI Talks has the unfettered right to refuse admission and to expel any person(s) whose conduct is disorderly or inappropriate or who poses a threat to security, or to the enjoyment of the event by others. Any attendee who is refused admission or is expelled will not receive a refund or any other form of compensation.
Attendees voluntarily assume all rick and danger of personal injury and hazards arising from, or related in any way to GI Talks (including loss, damage or theft of personal property) whether occurring prior to, during or after the GI Talks event and releases GI Talks and its staff, agents and volunteers from all liability.
Afternoon tickets and Evening tickets cost $47 plus GST. All Day tickets cost $94 + GST and include a buffet dinner at the Sandman Hotel at 180 West Georgia Street.
You buy tickets and pay online with a credit card – Visa, MasterCard or American Express.
You can buy tickets on this website. If you require 8 or more contiguous seats contact Roger Killen at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604.408.0888 BEFORE you buy them to ensure that 8 contiguous seats are available.
Yes, so long as you buy at least 8 contiguous seats. Before you make your purchase, contact Roger Killen at email@example.com or 604.408.0888 to confirm that 8 contiguous seats are available.
GI Talks tickets are not refundable but they are transferable.
Yes. After you have completed your purchase you’ll receive an email containing your tickets. You can print these tickets on your printer. Each ticket has a unique bar code which will be scanned at the entrance to the Playhouse Theatre
The Playhouse Theatre is located at 600 Hamilton Street at Dunsmuir.
There are several convenient and sustainable transportation options for getting there including walking, biking or public transportation. The nearest train station is Stadium-Chinatown.
There are several nearby public parking lots that operate 24 hours per day, 7 days a week on a first come, first serve basis.
Yes, the Playhouse Theatre is fully accessible. There are 5 wheelchair spaces in the auditorium.
The Playhouse Theatre provides hearing-assist devices for hearing-impaired people.
Yes, there is a coat check in the lobby. The cost is $2 per item.
FOOD AND BEVERAGE
Sorry but the Playhouse Theatre rule is that no outside food or beverage is permitted on site.
Snacks are served in the lobby of the Playhouse Theatre.
You can go to any of the numerous restaurants that are within walking distance of the Playhouse Theatre. An All Day Ticket includes a buffet dinner at theSandman Hotel located at 180 West Georgia Street.
GI Talks is committed to leaving as small an environmental footprint as possible and is taking the following measures to make that happen:
- GI Talks does not give attendees a ‘swag bag’ filled with branded giveaways; we believe that these bags and most of their contents end up in landfills.
- GI Talk’s paper program guide is printed on recycled paper.
- GI Talks sources locally to reduce waste and transport-related emissions.
- GI Talks chooses venues that are accessible by walking, bicycle and transit.
- GI Talk’s operations are as energy efficient as possible.
- GI Talk’s administration systems are as paperless as possible.
- GI Talks recycles as much of our waste as possible.
- GI Talks asks its suppliers to follow sustainable practices.
We customize each partnership relationship. Please contact Roger Killen at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604.408.0888 for more information.
All partners receive various forms of publicity, complimentary seats and other exploitable commercial potential. Each partnership is designed on a case by case basis. GI Talks is open to all sorts of creative ways to building win:win partnerships. Contact Roger Killen at email@example.com or 604.408.0888.